10. A room full of perfect strangers all searching for a little girls shoes (She took them off to test drive a little toy cart).
9. Watching a mother’s happiness at unexpectedly finding just the right winter coat for her son, for just $3.
8. Giving a widow an excuse to finally clear out things she has held onto since her husband died (“It’s for a good cause, after all.”)
7. Seeing the oldest and the youngest members of the parish discover and value one another’s talents as they work together.
6. Meeting a family who live up the street, and watching them hang out all day talking to people, eating hot dogs, and relaxing.
5. Standing on the street corner holding a “Yard Sale Here!” sign, mentally organizing my sermon for the next day.
4. Enjoying 21st century baked sale delights: gluten-free cupcakes, vegan banana bread, and legume-free cake.
3. Making over $1,300 for the church (which we really need!).
2. Learning about people’s lives through their donations (“I made my wedding dress and all the bridesmaids’ dresses using this sewing machine.”)
1. Knowing that the “Lots More Inside” sign refers to more than stuff: Lots of caring, lots of hospitality, lots of learning, and lots of blessings.